Wednesday, July 27, 2011

K.I.R. (Keeping It Real)

Have you ever written a letter to someone you admire and hit  the send  button and thought, "Hmmm should I have sent that"? I did this very thing tonight. I don’t want to say who I wrote a letter to because I am not sure they will even have time to read it or even respond.  However, I will say this person has a wealth of knowledge and talent. If I could pick that brain for a full week in a workshop I would! 

Anyways, the letter was basically asking a few questions about a certain style of photography. I called it, “A very crisp, clean, modern yet classic style”.  I have found a select few with this style and most of them are very successful photographers. I know for sure this is the style I want to get into.  

I sounded a little desperate when telling them how bad I want to succeed at photography, “If you can give any advice or the name of that style, I will do the research and the work. I have to make this work”. I went on to close with, “On that note, thanks in advance for any information you can give and the time you took to read this. Sincerely, a crazy, unprofessional fan/photographer”.  I cannot believe I even wrote them all of this plus a little more that I am too embarrassed to say. Hopefully, they can understand where I am coming from and maybe pass on the name of the style.  In a way I am glad it is out there and that I took a chance. I definitely K.I.R. in that letter!

 I truly believe this person is genuine and may actually respond with advice. I just don’t want to get my hopes up. 

I am reminded of the quote, “The only person standing in your way is YOU”! I think I am very critical of my work and I am striving to get every picture exactly how I see it in my mind. It is a good thing in a way; at least I am pushing myself and improving with each shoot. However, being too critical can sabotage your whole mission. I have got to find the middle ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment