Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Editing, Actions and Education

 So while I am sitting here editing some wedding pictures I thought I would write about a few ways that I edit. I edit weddings different than I edit my portraits. Due to the high amount of photos I give the clients for a wedding session, I generally spend about 2-3 mins on each photo. Portraits I will spend about 5 mins on each photo since there are fewer of them and are mostly close up shots. I do however take around 5 pictures from portrait sessions and 10 from wedding sessions that I like to get a bit creative and take extra time with. These are what I call my Lasting Impression Prints. I do use a few actions but there is only ONE action I ever run at 100% and that is the Florabella sharpen and defog. I usually only run one other action at a very low percentage after the sharpen and defog. That action depends on the pictures itself. I will tell you that I have spent a lot of money on actions and so far my favorites that I use come from Florabella, coffeshop (which is free by the way) and Totally Rad. Another great freebie I used on my daughter's cake smash session was MCP's Mini Fusion set. That is really an awesome action for a slight vintage look with a pop of color. If you are ever looking for a great mentoring session on how to edit photos go see Crave Photography. Andee is worth every penny and I adore her pictures. 

Anyways, I think with portraits I don't mind if they look like they might have been touched up. I don't do much I dodge and burn, add contrast, add vibrance and touch up the eyes and skin. For wedding photos I don't touch up a photo that much because I want the Bride to remember exactly how she looked that day. Most of the time the Bride looks stunning anyways and she doesn't  need any editing on her skin. Some Brides do ask for it and if they do I will certainly do it for them. However, I will never suggest that a Bride needs any touch ups done. When I got married I had some red scaring from acne when I was younger and my make-up artist was able to cover it all by using her airbrushing skills. You got love the power of airbrushing make-up! So on weddings I will run the sharpen and defog action, bump up the blacks a bit, check to make sure their skin tone is pretty and do dodging and burning if necessary. I try to keep the wedding pictures simple and just as they were on that day. That is such a special day I don't want to touch it. I will add some haze to soften the picture for spring and summer weddings, not every picture but a few. I will also add more contrast and vibrance to winter and fall weddings that have rich colors.

I read a post recently that said something to the effect that we should not waste our time explaining why custom photography cost more money. Their reasoning is because if you have to educate the customer then they are probably not in your target market. I have to disagree with this. I worked in sells for a long time and the first thing I learned is not to judge a customer by the way they look, act or what they of questions they ask. The second thing I learned was educating the customer is a HUGE step in gaining their trust and letting them know you know what you are talking about. Educating the client on our abilities to understand our own products is key to my business. If a client was to ask me why is custom photography so special than going to a big retail store or a mall picture place, I would tell them this: A custom photography session is an experience. I take the time to sit down with you and find out what your style is. If you need assistance in picking out a color pallet and/or clothes, I do this to make this process fun and enjoyable. I get to know my clients and they become my friends. So, it is like going into your girlfriends closet and playing dress-up. Another great thing about custom photography is you don't have to wait in lines nor do you have to figure out what poses you want to purchase. Also, my poses aren't the same with every client. I feel out your personality and create the poses right then and there. Most of the time it is the little moments when you think the camera isn't clicking that the best poses happen. Another great thing about custom photography is FREEDOM to do what you want to do. You can change clothes, take a break, take pictures almost anywhere and you are not on a time schedule. I give each of my clients up to 2 hours and most of the time we are done in an hour, but that extra time gives us the option to change locations or just feel no pressure from the time clock. So basically, custom photography gives you a personal experience, freedom and custom edited pictures. Why is it so pricey? Well like in all things, you pay for what you get. I own all professional equipment, I am a legit business, I travel to you, and I spend a great deal of time perfecting the pics not only on location but in the editing process. This makes for great pictures to show off. 

So I think when using actions to edit your pictures, use the actions to give your photos a nudge not a make-over. Also, education on your business and your products is important for you as well as any clients that may come your way.

Here is an example of the mini fusion set I used on my daughter's cake smash session. If you want the template it is free right now on Florabella's Face Book page

No comments:

Post a Comment