Sunday, September 25, 2011

Headed Down County Road 101

I spent all day charging my batteries, cleaning my lenses and trying to get into the sounds of County Road 101 by listening to all of their songs on their website. My cousin, Dwayne Holt, is the bassist and I wanted to make him proud and take the best photographs I could of them playing in the Silver Spur Club at the Pasadena Rodeo. I knew they had a pretty good following and recently won Fan Favorite at a local Battle of the Bands Show.  These pictures had to come out perfect!


As we drove south in the middle of rush hour traffic I was getting more nervous as the minutes passed. What if they hate the pictures? What if my lenses aren’t good enough, what if I am not good enough? UGH! I was giving myself a headache. My husband did what any husband would do. He reached over and turned on the radio to drown out my pity party. At least that did take my mind of the nerves a bit. He patted my leg and told me that everything would be fine. Like always, I just really wanted these pictures to be fantastic. 


For you photographers that want to know what was in my bag that night, I had my Canon 5D Mark II, the extra battery pack with the two Canon batteries, my flash (just as a back up), my Canon EF 50mm 1.4 and my Canon EF 24 – 105mm 4.0 L IS. Now why didn’t I have a 70 – 300mm 0r a 70 – 200mm. Well that is simple….I am broke and can’t afford to even rent one.  So, I took what I had and was going to make the best of it. By the way ladies, all of this fit into my teal hobo Kelly Moore bag. LOVE that purse/camera bag. I was able to fit my keys, inhaler, eye drops, paid meds (because my right eye is still jacked up), ID, phone and makeup. It is a fantastic bag!


So, when I got there I was introduced to the rest of the band and they are super sweet guys and a pretty good looking group. They are all married with families but hey nothing is wrong with a little eye candy right!? They began to set up and I started to get a feel for what lens I was going to use. The place was pretty dark and my 4.0 wasn’t cutting it. Thank God my Canon has a good wide range of ISO so I could crank it up without a lot of noise showing in the pictures. I mainly used my 50mm 1.4 since I could open it up more without using the flash. I had to get clever for the 4.0 to get the close up shots. I had to take the pictures when their yellow and orange lights would flash. That is the only time I had enough light to use that lens. But hey, it got the pictures that I needed. 


So all in all it was a great night of good music, good food and good company. I hope you guys enjoy these shots. I love photographing bands. I have now added into my budget enough money to rent my 70 – 300 and I plan on being able to buy it in about a year. I refuse to buy anything on a credit card so I am saving up for it. 

To see the full gallery click here:








 XOXO


Kimberlee Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment